Somers and Croton Falls Fire Departments battled fire on Stoneleigh Ave Friday afternoon
Just before 2:30 pm on Friday afternoon, the Somers and Croton Falls Fire Departments jointly responded to a fire emergency on Stoneleigh Avenue in Somers. A utility pole was ablaze and sparking power lines had set off a small brush fire.
A passerby first reported the fire to the Croton Falls Fire Department. Jeff Daday, 1st Assistant Fire Chief of the Croton Falls Fire Department (CFFD), said, "we received a call at the firehouse and went to investigate at the same time Somers FD was en route." When the CFFD arrived on the scene, the pole was on fire and a primary power line was broken and on fire on the ground. Fire officials closed the roadway until NYSEG deemed it safe and repaired the line.
North Salem Town Supervisor Warren Lucas alerted residents to the fire via a Facebook post. He noted that the affected utility pole powered Croton Falls and Hardscrabble Road in North Salem. Many area residents lost power Friday afternoon, either as a result of this incident or due to more widespread outages resulting from high winds that ripped through the region.
Somers VFD chief Jonathan Mackey said, "Somers FD and Croton Falls FD are fortunate to have such a great relationship and to work so closely. We thank them for their assistance."